Saturday, January 22, 2011

Update and New Baby!

So much has happened since the last time I posted. I will update where things are with Travis first.

As I mentioned at the end of the last post, we entered a busy season, which ended up being even busier than I had thought it would be in many ways. With it came some set backs in our EC journey.

First came sickness. The runny out the rear end kind. Travis had diarrhea for  about a week, got better, then had more leaky bum. Finally that stopped. But it was impossible for him to control and I think it discouraged him just as he was getting a handle on being able to tell me before he had a bowel movement.

Then we got busy with the peaches. Which meant that I was busy, and missed prompting him to get to the potty before it was too late. That was combined with peach eating. Which led to more loose stools. Which made it harder to anticipate when he needed to go.

Then another round of sickness hit. In the middle of the business.

Then we started a kitchen remodeling project. Which meant that we were eating meals in our shop, a long way from the potty. And when we were close to the potty, I was buried in planning, research, ordering, etc. I worked to help him get back on track, but we missed a lot.

Slowly, we have gotten back on track. Our kitchen remodel is finished, mostly. I have worked to make sure that he gets right to the potty after meal time and when he wakes up. And if I know he is getting close to time, I get him in there. I also have started rewarding him for pees and poos he gets in the toilet. I have done this to add an element of excitement back into potty time. One chocolate chip for pee, one for poo. We are gaining, not perfect, but better.

Last week I gave birth to Rayna Yael. Thus, we are beginning a new adventure, this time with a baby girl. And hopefully with a mommy who is a bit more experienced. =)

I was able to start catching on day 2, and was pleased to catch a good bit of meconium. (Easier on my cloth diapers...=) She seemed to catch on quickly, and while she has pooed and peed plenty of diapers, almost every time I offer and signal, she goes. And it seems to me that she does a bit in the diaper and really lets it go and does a lot in the potty. Could be coincidence, but it does seem like she is more relaxed in arms. She will just sit and look at me with great concentration, with a slight frown on her forehead. It seems so natural to signal her, and seems almost like coincidence that she goes almost right away. This EC journey is like a mysterious code, one that I discover as I go along and one that is really fun to find working even when it seems impossible.

Which reminds me of Rayna's first catch.

I had gone to the bathroom and left Rayna surrounded by adoring siblings. When I came back, she was fussing a bit. Sarah, 5 1/2, said, "Mommy, she is fussing. Sounds like she needs to go potty."

I thought it might sound like that a bit, but wasn't sure. But I humored Sarah and thought it surely wouldn't hurt to offer to pee her, even if it was only to help Sarah feel like she had a part to play in taking care of the baby. I held her over the potty, and in about 15 sec was surprised with a big yell, from one end of Rayna and a big bowel movement at the other end. Needless to say, Sarah was pleased to know that she had discerned Rayna's needs correctly, although, she seemed to take it pretty matter-of-factly, whereas I was a bit more surprised and impressed. =)

I hope to write again soon and post pics and videos, so check back later and thanks for reading! =D

1 comment:

Elimination Communication said...

I guess it goes to show never underestimate the observation abilities of practical children!

Congratulations (albeit a little late) on your newest addition.

We've only have one that we practice EC, and here's hoping to a second!